A three-year-old died while having his teeth pulled to treat a gum infection, officials say. His mother, Nancy Valenzuela, said she didn’t even know there was a problem with the procedure until her son was transported to the hospital.
According to police, the boy’s heart began to slow and his face began to swell a half-hour after he was sedated. He was given CPR and a drug to boost his heart rate, to no avail.
“His heart just stopped beating. Just out of nowhere, so something must have gone wrong,” his mother said.
She said she was kept largely in the dark by staff as she waited for news on her son’s health.
“The last thing I told him was cause he cried cause he felt the needle and stuff, so I told him, ‘Papi, everything is going to be OK,'” she said. “I’m like, ‘You’re fine,’ and as a mother, you just feel like I failed him because you can’t do anything to protect him.”